Thursday, March 20, 2014

Day 32 - Clocks, Cliques and Cliches, What Fun!

Week 4

Both by predilection and plain old habit, I research idioms, colloquialisms and cliches for practically every song I write. So this week's assignment was "right up my alley", if I do say so, and I do.

I've had the hook for this for a few months, but the lyrics were a study in cliches - cop cliches, in fact. I was really under the gun to get it finished.

I enjoyed the process immensely.

A few words about what the song will be, but isn't yet:-

I did a slightly more developed scratch demo for this one, but most of the arrangement, by necessity, had to be left out. So many notes, so little time!

The 8-bar Intro is intended to be sparse - just drums and the lead guitar hook (riff).

There are a couple of 2-bar Breaks between the verses, that are now essentially empty, but which will contain the BG Vocal: "Shoot, shoot".

There's an 8-bar Instrumental Bridge which is to contain hand claps, lead guitar riffs, a gun ricochet, and vocals singing "woo-oo-ooooo", "shoot, shoot" and "he's the love detective", but currently doesn't.

The Coda is a spoken-word section, a mini-play, with background vocals interspersed.

The Extro is the hook, repeated to fade.

The song could easily end up having more instruments, e.g., horns, tambourine or other percussion, and sound effects, e.g., man walking down a hallway, a firm knock on a door, car tires screeching. That said, the song is pretty long as it is, just under 4 minutes.

The demo is rudimentary. I know quite a bit about audio engineering, but theoretical knowledge and doing are horses of a different colour. I definitely need lots of practice, at songwriting, audio mixing and horse riding, so this is good for me on both the writing and production fronts, possibly not so much on the equestrian front, or back, depending on which way you're facing on the horse.

Hope you like the song.



Love Detective

Verse 1

I'm on stakeout, baby, at the scene of the crime
Looks like you're the victim of a heartbreak
I’m waitin’ for my C.I. to drop a dime
And roundin’ up the usual suspects

Verse 2

I’m working undercover, sussin’ out the clues
Got a tail shadowing the perpetrator
He’s been shakin’ you down with his condescending views
He thinks he’s such a cool impersonator

Well ...

Chorus 1

I’m the love detective
I never back down, or give up the chase
I’m the love detective
I can always crack the toughest case

Verse 3

When your heart’s gone cold, and the case has too
I’ll help you find the missing evidence
I’m sorry, baby, but I’ll have to question you
Though I never spill a secret told in confidence

'Cause ...

Chorus

Instr. Bridge

Verse 4

You’ll have to look at a lineup, and testify
But I’ll put you under witness protection
We’ll keep it under wraps, and kill the headlines
'Til the con man's in the house of correction

Verse 5

When your heart’s gone cold, and the case has too
I’ll help you find the missing evidence
Cause I’m not the kind o’ P.I. to play fast and loose
And I never spill a secret told in confidence

No, I won't divulge a secret told in confidence

Chorus

Coda: BG's and Spoken Lines

He's the love detective

"What? You know how to use a gun, don’t you?"

(Ricochet SFX)

"Guess not."

He's the love detective

"Ok, let’s run down this alley."

"Wait, there’s a car comin’."

"Quick, up the fire escape."

He's the love detective

"So, why’d you wear high heels and a short skirt?"

"Well yeah, I like ‘em, I’m just sayin’ …"

Extro (Repeat To Fade)

I'm the love detective

Baby, I’m the love detective

I'm the love detective

Doncha know, I'm the love detective

Yes, I'm the love detective

The love detective.

© 2014 Wayne Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment