Thursday, March 13, 2014

Day 25 - Deadines Were Made To Be Broken!

Week 3

Well … this is embarassing! Not really, but I do want to explain.

I began my Week 3 effort with a concept I really felt strongly about. It was a message song with a devastating story behind it. As the writing progressed I encountered some serious creative hurdles - the content was so disturbing that I had difficulty deciding what to emphasize. After changing the hook, the process became even more convoluted. Near the end of the week, I was forced to put it on the back burner in the "more thought required" category.

So … once again, I turned to a song I originally wrote years ago, but hadn't completed. Just a few notes about the scratch track and some production ideas to help you imagine what the song might eventually sound like.

First, some of the lyrics are wrong in the track. The words in the printed lyrics are the right ones.

I hear this tune as a bluesy rock kind of thing, with soul chorus type background vocals, possibly an equally soulful horn trio.

There is a short instrumental break after the Bridge. This is intended to be an extended instrumental solo section in the final production - could be anything from electric guitar to piano or organ, even horn or horn soli.

The last chorus could be repeated, any number of times, and the coda should be ad lib, or even extend into a jam type out chorus sort of thing.

I'm not happy with the melody in the Bridge yet - it's in the ball park, but needs some tweaking.

I apologize for the performance and the recording - had to get something up as quickly as I could.

The lyric is finished - finally.

Hope you like it.



Afraid Of Love

Verse 1

Was it something you said,
That was rolling around in my head?
While we were pretending a little blindness

All I was tryin' to do
Was find a little comfort in you
No lines rehearsed, just extending some mutual kindness

Chorus 1

But you turned out to be
An angel from the seventh dimension
Now I can't help but see
That I'm afraid of love
Yes, I'm afraid of love

Verse 2

Whatever it is you've done
I wanna break my cover and run
Now every time I think of you, I start to tremble

When our eyes meet and you give me that look
Another page is torn from the book
And why it used to hurt so bad, I can't quite remember

Chorus

Bridge

I stand here in this derelict disguise
Begging now, before the gates of paradise
For a lifetime I've been falling
Now I feel my soul dissolving
Clinging to this ledge
About to slip off the edge

Instrumental Solos (extended)

Chorus

Coda

Afraid of love
I'm afraid of love
Afraid of love
Afraid of love

(Vamp & repeat to fade)

© Copyright 2000, 2014 Wayne Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment